By Stephanie of Infinite Life Fitness
Breakfast. The first meal of the day. AND also one of the most important meals of the day.
It is very common for a lot of people to skip on breakfast and wait until the mid-morning or even lunch until they have their first good meal. THIS IS A BAD IDEA! Studies have shown that those who skip breakfast do not lose weight as well as those who take the time to eat a nice healthy breakfast each morning.
Skipping breakfast allows you to grow hungrier and hungrier the longer you wait to eat your first meal after waking up. If you eat something healthy and light when you get up it should help reduce your strong starvation feelings you may have grown around 10 or 11 AM. Halting these feelings will allow you the chance to stop the “binge eating” you may do for your first meal. By that time you are so hungry that you eat and eat and eat. You eat until you feel full or satisfied but people usually eat so fast that they end up over eating before their belly can tell their brain that they are full!
Also, while you are sleeping your body is in a fasting state. It has gone 5+ hours without food so when you awake it is time to fuel your body! During this fasting state your body is conserving ANYTHING it can. This halts or hinders your fat loss process. Eating your breakfast within 2 hours of waking up allows your metabolism to get kick started and start working on burning those calories.
What are some great breakfast options? I will list a few:
- Oat meal: try to stick to the PLAIN oatmeal. It is healthier to get the plain oatmeal and add your own fruit or honey to it.
- Fruit: It is always a great idea to have fruit in the morning. Try to stick to one serving size which is usually 1 cup of chopped melon, berries, or a small apple or banana.
- Cereal: Make sure it is a light cereal like Cheerios, Kashi cereal, or other whole grain low sugar cereals. Try substituting almond milk for real milk to help cut calories and fat in your diet.
- Eggs: there are SO many ways you can have eggs in the morning! You can have boiled eggs, egg whites, egg white and 1 egg yolk mixed and scrambled, poached, or any other way! Make sure you try to use olive oil or coconut oil instead of vegetable oil to make your meal healthier.
- Toast: Try to stick to the 100% whole wheat bread. This is the best option at the store. You can also get whole wheat English muffins, pita pockets, tortillas, or any other type of bread product.
- Nuts: The best options for nuts are almonds! You can also have peanuts (but try to get the unsalted peanuts).
- Yogurt: Also another great option! BUT TRY TO GET PLAIN YOGURT!!! The yogurt you can buy at the store with granola and “fresh fruit” is LOADED WITH SUGAR! Get the plain yogurt (and Greek yogurt is honestly your best option) and put your own nuts and fruit in them. This should also save you money!
Here is a great example of a quick breakfast you can make and have ready for those rushed mornings:
- 1 Whole Wheat English muffin (or 1 piece of toast or 1 tortilla), 1 small apple, 1 hard-boiled egg, 1 oz. of cheese, 1 tablespoon of jam, green tea, 24 nuts, and a cherry (as a little treat).
- You can pre-pack containers like this so they will be ready in the fridge to grab when you are heading out the door in the morning!
Other healthy options:
- 1 piece of toast, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 small fruit
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, I cup berries or fruit, 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 XL large eggs, 1 cup baby spinach leave, ¼ cup chopped bell peppers, ¼ cup chopped onions
- Morning pizza: I English muffin, 2 tablespoon tomato paste, ¼ cup low fat cheese, add chicken or turkey bacon
- Breakfast sandwich/tortilla wrap: get 1 English muffin or flat bread or tortilla, ½ cup baby spinach, 2 cooked eggs, sliced tomatoes or onions (or other veggies) 2 pieces of turkey bacon or sausage or baked chicken
- 1 cup oatmeal, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 cup fruit (or one small fruit)
- You can make fruit smoothies and add nuts, chai seeds, or protein powder
- You can make oatmeal muffins
Breakfast is a great time to get creative! Eating healthy does not have to be bland and boring! Find some things that you enjoy and make them healthy! If you like bacon try turkey bacon! If you like toast switch to whole wheat toast. If you want something sweet try Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of honey and fruit! The key is to get things that you can grab and eat with you on your way to work or school! And if you do have time to sit down and cook breakfast even better! You will have time to create omelets and other meals that take a little longer to cook!
Breakfast is VITAL to reaching your health and fitness goals. So why skip it when it can be yummy, filling, AND help you reach your goals!?
My name is Stephanie from Infinite Life Fitness. Please feel free to stop by my website for more health and fitness related tips!