Monday, November 19, 2012

AMOUR

“...the unavoidability of death is a matter frequently evaded by euphemism and clouded by sentimentality.”


I am away for much of the next few weeks, so this blog may fluctuate a little. I did however, want to just write a few words about mortality before I vanish. I’m currently working with my colleagues Steven Gartside, Zoe Watson and Valeria Ruiz Vargas to curate an extraordinary exhibition here at in Manchester’s Holden Gallery, next July. The exhibition will bring together the work of some iconic contemporary artists whose work touches upon Mortality: Death and the Imagination.

With our work unfolding, and the commitment of some great artists and thinkers of our time, who I'll announce very soon, its not surprising I noticed that the film critic Philip French had written a stunning review of a film I haven't yet seen, but which leaves me with such anticipation, I must flag it up. I’m taking a punt on something that my instincts (and now the critics) tells me, sounds quite unique. Amour is a film by Michael Haneke, and French believes it will -

“...take its place alongside the greatest films about the confrontation of ageing and death, among them Ozu's Tokyo Story, Kurosawa's Living, Bergman's Wild Strawberries, Rosi's Three Brothers and, dare I say it, Don Siegel's The Shootist. It's worthy of being discussed in the same breath as the novels and plays of Samuel Beckett, of which Christopher Ricks wrote in his bitingly perceptive Beckett's Dying Words: "We know about our wish to go on being, we human beings, our wish not to die. Samuel Beckett, who rigged nothing, fashioned for himself and for us a voice, Malone's, at once wistful and wiry: 'Yes, there is no good pretending, it is hard to leave everything.' These are the accents of a consciousness, imagining and imagined, which braves the immortal commonplace of mortality."

I'll leave you to read his full article by clicking here, and watch the trailer for the film above.

If life permits, I will attempt to blog something from the fourth Arts of Good Health and Wellbeing conference in Fremantle.

Thank you as ever for following the blog...C.P.