Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Healthy Banana Bread


Hi everyone!  It’s Jennifer from The Chronicles of Home with another healthy recipe for you.  I picked up a recipe card from my Whole Foods’ bakery counter a few weeks ago for Flax and Honey Banana Bread and have been so excited to make it.  I adapted the recipe a bit but the results were delicious and just the healthy bread I was hoping for.

The bread was sweet but not too sweet, hearty and satisfying but still just the right amount of cakiness to it.  The banana and coconut flavors complement each other so beautifully.  My girls gobbled this up for breakfast the morning I made it and happily ate more that afternoon as a snack.  I’ll be adding this to my repertoire and will probably make two loaves next time so I have one to freeze!



Coconut Flax Banana Bread

3/4 c. mashed bananas ( about 2)
3/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 c. honey
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
1 1/4 c. shredded coconut
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350º.  Line a loaf pan with parchment paper down the length and the width.

In a large bowl, whisk banana, almond milk, and honey.  Add flour, flaxseed, 1 c. coconut, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Fold with rubber spatula just to combine.

Transfer to pan, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. coconut and bake until golden and cooked through (test with a toothpick), about 55 minutes.

Let cool a few minutes, then lift out of pan using parchment and slice with a serrated knife.



* * * * * 

Thank you for this post from contributing writer, Jennifer, of The Chronicles of Home.  You'll definitely want to check out her blog for more amazing recipes, beautiful home decor, and easy-to-follw DIY projects!