Thursday, December 13, 2012

Healthy Eating || Bananas and Lowering Blood Pressure

Lately my blood pressure has been lower than usual, which isn't a bad thing at all in this case.  The systolic pressure normally ranges between 101 and 110 while the diastolic pressure between 65 and 80.  However, my two most recent tests were 91/60 and 93/57. I don't recall my blood pressure ever being this low ... at least not in recent years.

So, I thought to myself, "What have I been doing differently?"  And then it occurred to me, "Well, I've been eating a lot of bananas [in smoothies].  Could that be it?"  Then I went to the internet, did some digging, and learned that there are dozens of references to the high potassium in bananas helping to lower blood pressure.  Here are a couple of abstracts worth reading:

ROLE OF POTASSIUM IN REGULATING BLOOD PRESSURE
EFFECT OF BANANA ON COLD-STRESS INDUCED HYPERTENSION

MORE READS:
BLOOD PRESSURE CHART AND TIPS

DISCLAIMER: Please speak with your doctor before changing your diet.