Monday, December 3, 2012

Great Grandma's Hot Chicken Salad

Today's recipe comes all the way from my beloved, late Great Grandma, and it was passed down to me by my Grandma.  My Grandma is a great cook and she's always sending me recipes and healthy eating articles she's clipped from magazines, since she's diabetic.  I love that this Hot Chicken Salad recipe is in her own sweet handwriting.  You can tell I've used it a bunch since the notecard is worn and dirty- a great sign of a good dish!



Over the years, I've tweaked the recipe some and added a few new ingredients.  I never really measure anymore, opting to just toss everything in- about a cup of each vegetable.  

Ingredients
  • 1 Rotisserie Chicken - I like to use the white meat only 
  • Olive oil - couple tablespoons
  • Onion - diced
  • Carrots- diced
  • Celery- diced 
  • Peas- frozen
  • Garlic- couple cloves minced
  • Light mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
  • Cream of mushroom soup- one can
  • Fat free milk- a glug 
  • Sliced olives - small jar
  • Prepared Pesto - couple tablespoons 
  • Lemon juice - couple squeezes
  • 2% shredded cheese - a big handful 
  • Large shell macaroni (you can use whole wheat) - cup cups dry 
  • Salt and pepper to taste- I usually just add a very small amount. 
Directions
  • Boil the pasta until al dente.
  • In a second large pot, cook the onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until softened.  Add garlic.
  • Shred the chicken and add to the pan.
  • Add mayo, cream of mushroom soup, milk, olives, lemon juice, and pesto.
  • Add the peas.
  • Add the cooked shells.
  • Stir to combine.
  • Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with shredded cheese. 

  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. 

  • This is one of the meals I portion out into about 10 small plastic containers and take to work with me.   I reheat it for about a minute.


* * * * *