Monday, October 15, 2012

REVIEW #16: Homemade Deodorant - Baking Soda, Corn Starch, and Coconut Oil

Disclaimer: If you are pregnant or lactating, or have a health condition, please consult with your doctor before using an essential oil.


Homemade deodorant (on the right).


Purpose: The baking soda and cornstarch are intended to diminish the moist environment (created from our sweat) that becomes a breeding ground for odor-inducing bacteria.  The coconut oil is intended to aid in the application process and also combat the skin drying/irritation effects of the baking soda.  The addition of an essential oil is intended to deodorize any odor that does form.

VIDEO TUTORIAL for Homemade Deodorant

Ingredients: 

For trial #1This created an unscented stick deodorant.
1 part baking soda, 1 part cornstarch, 1 part coconut oil.  

For trial #2 This created a scented creamy deodorant.
1 part baking soda, 1 part cornstarch, ~2 parts coconut oil, several drops of tea tree essential oil.  

Number of trials: Almost daily over the course of about five months.

How I used it:
Applied to armpit daily after morning shower.

_____________
THE REVIEW:

Trial #1:
My first trial of this homemade deodorant was somewhat disappointing.  As the day progressed, the unscented "stick" version of this mixture caked in my armpits and fell off in chunks, many times slipping through my sleeve and onto the ground.  Additionally, as I sweated, the moisture would mix with the deodorant and leave "oil-like" stains on the armpit areas of my shirts.  Even with these application annoyances, the homemade deodorant was not effective against my armpit odor.

Trial #2:   
I was actually very pleased with my second trial of this mixture.  The scented "cream" version of this homemade deodorant melted into my armpits and did not create the kind of application issues I experienced with the "stick" version (i.e., trial #1).  Also, the addition of tea tree oil increased the effectiveness of this mixture against armpit odor.  Compared to commercial deodorants that I have tried, I prefer this mixture largely because it does not result in a "sweat mixed with deodorant scent" smell.  In other words, it does not attempt to cover up the odor but actually combats it, if you know what I mean.  

Background: Compared to the average woman, I would rate myself as high in the armpit sweat and armpit odor departments.  (Embarrassing, but the truth.) I cannot go without using a strong antiperspirant, so I've been applying Certain Dri every 2-3 nights for a few years now.   Because antiperspirants are only intended to decrease sweat and not fight odor, I also have to use a deodorant in the morning.  Trial #2 of this mixture has become one of my staples (in addition to a commercial deodorant I alternate with so that my body does not get used to either one).  I would recommend Trial #2 to someone like me.

___________________
PROS: easy to mix; inexpensive ingredients; mainly natural ingredients;
scented version: effective against armpit odor;
cream: easy to apply

CONS: stick version: flaky, leaves shirt stains for those who sweat a lot;
unscented version: ineffective for those who sweat a lot.

RATING: Overall, I give the scented, cream version 5 out of 5 stars.  I give the unscented, stick version 1 out of 5 stars.

This product is ideal for those who:
- want an effective natural deodorant (use the trial #2 version for this)
- want an inexpensive, effective deodorant (")


Creamy consistency of the homemade deodorant.