Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chocolate Protein Brownies


I made these "brownies" over the weekend for the first time, and could not believe how good they are!  The consistency is actually more like a cake, but you don't have to feel guilty about eating this cake.  The recipe comes from Jamie Eason and I put in italics how I tweaked it.  I think the next time I bake them I'll leave out the sugar and see how that tastes. (*update, I left out the sugar completely and added a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips and it's even better!)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Oat Flour (I ground oats finely in a food processor)
  • 2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I used chocolate protein powder)
  • ½ tsp Baking Soda
  • ¼ tsp Salt
  • 3 tbsp Baking Cocoa 
  • 4 Egg Whites
  • ½ cup Splenda (I used 1/4 cup real sugar)
  • 8oz Berry flavored Baby Food (I used 8oz applesauce)
  • 4oz Water
Directions


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix dry ingredients (oat flour, vanilla whey protein, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa) together in a large bowl.
  • Mix wet ingredients (egg whites, Splenda, berry flavored baby food, water) together in a medium sized bowl.
  • Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together.
  • Spray cooking dish (I used an 8x8 glass pan) with a non stick butter spray or olive oil spray and add batter to dish.
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes (mine cooked for closer to 30 minutes)

Nutrition

2 Bars = Calories 96;  Fat 1.4 g; Carbs 12 g;  Protein 10 g