Thursday, May 13, 2010

REVIEW #6: Goody Spin Pins

Purpose: Use two spin pins in place of 20 bobby pins

Number of trials: 4-5

Instructions: Spin in to secure a style; spin out to take down the style. (Works similar to a screw. The pins come with detailed instructions and pictures.)

How I used them:

• To create a simple bun with twists. (One to two spin pins to secure bun.)

• To create an updo with a pompadour. (One spin pin to secure the updo and the other to secure the pompadour.)

• To create a sidehawk; to create a bun on loose, stretched hair.

THE REVIEW:

The best thing about the spin pins is that they are gentle, easy to use, and a timesaver. (They are much gentler on my super-tight kinks than bobby pins.) In my opinion, they are on the expensive side ($5.19 at my local Target vs. $7.99 at my local CVS). However, you can get your money's worth by using them for various creative updo styles beyond than the simple bun. They are ideal for ladies who steadily wear updos -- including me. At the moment, I'm still partial to my ouchless band, jaw clip, and single frenchbraid ... but the spin pin may become a good friend in time.


PROS: easy to use, easy to take out, very gentle on the hair, sturdy, detailed instructions and pictures, replaces multiple bobby pins

CONS: only comes in "blond" and "brunette", a bit pricey

RATING: Overall, I give the Goody Spin Pins 4 out of 5 stars. The ultimate question is can they do the work of 20 bobby pins? On my thick hair, not really, but they did the work of 5-10, which is still pretty cool. Additionally, it would be great if they could offer "black" spin pins in the future.