Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New Shampoo ... Let's Talk pH

*The truth about pH and our hair:
The pH of our hair is about 5. Some sources say the pH of shampoos should range between 6.0-8.0 while others say the ideal pH is 5.5. Another source suggests between 4.0-7.0. Whatever the ideal number, the truth is the pH of our hair is 5 for a reason ... and to knock that balance way off can cause problems (e.g., dryness, roughness, cuticle lifting, scalp fungal growth, etc.).

MORE READS:
pH AND OUR HAIR - NATURAL HAVEN
pH AND OUR HAIR - CLASS PROJECT
LIST OF SHAMPOOS and pH
BENEFITS of LOW pH

********************************************************
*Why no poo no more?
My no poo routine consisted of using 1 part baking soda, 2-3 parts conditioner, and 3 parts water. I loved the mixture because it cleansed my scalp really well while not stripping my hair. However, this routine is nixed in light of the following informative sources - Kimmaytube's pH video and thenaturalhaven's baking soda post. I knew beforehand that baking soda was alkaline (i.e., high pH), but I did not know that though I diluted it with conditioner (slightly acidic) and water (neutral), it was still pretty high. I tested the solution myself and saw a whopping pH of 9. Even though I follow up with an ACV rinse (pH of 4), I don't know what long-term effect this routine will have on my hair and scalp ... so I'll stop now.

*My new shampoo:
I don't have a staple seeing as I'm just now switching back to poos. Right now, this Desert Essence is up to bat and Giovanni is on deck. Perhaps, Alba will make an experience too. Whatever the shampoo, it must have these qualities:

-max pH of 7 (after dilution in water),
-mainly natural,
-no sulfates,
-no silicones,
-no EDTA,
-super cleansing for the scalp (hence why I bought "for oily hair")

More on Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo:
You smelled it right! I will be reviewing this in the near future. Any vegans or vegetarians out there will be happy to know that this shampoo is 100% vegan. The Lemon Tee Tree shampoo boasts containing: jojoba seed oil to loosen and dissolve excess oil and build-up on the scalp and hair, high-quality Austrailian Tea Tree Oil to provide antiseptic qualities, sugar cleansers, and more.

********************************************************
For those who want to check out the Desert Essence Organics line, here you go: