Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hair Diary || Summer Regimen of Wash-n-gos and Braid-outs

(LEFT) Wash-n-go puffs.  No gel.
(RIGHT) Braid-out on flat-ironed hair.

Alright, so I want to wear my hair out this summer (after years of protective styling ~99% of the time).  I will largely wear a mix of braid-outs on low-heat flat-ironed hair AND wash-n-gos.  Here are more details:

MY WASH-N-GOS (inspired by long-haired type 4 Cynthiarf):
So I first tried Cynthiarf's method a few months ago, and was surprised at how little my hair became tangled from daily wash-n-gos.  And to think that after my hair grew past shoulder-length (years ago), that that was the end of wash-n-gos for me.  Well, I was wrong after having tried this lady's technique.
Here's my wash-n-go regimen for the summer:
- Pre-poo overnight with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO)
- Shampoo weekly (Desert Essence Tea Tree Shampoo) followed by quick conditioner
- Co-wash daily (Suave, Tresemme)
- Finger comb while co-washing (view Cynthiarf's tutorial of this process)
- Shake and go

MY BRAID-OUTS ON STRAIGHT HAIR (inspired by long-haired type 4 JoStylin):
Now, JoStylin does her braid-outs on blow-dried hair, but I am not a fan of blow drying on my hair (more on this another time).  Instead, I will do my braid-outs on lightly flat-ironed hair (i.e., 300 degrees F).  Other than this change, I love her simple routine as well as how she leaves a few braids in the back.  (Read my previous post about JoStylin.)
Here's my braid-out regimen for the summer:
- Pre-poo overnight with EVCO
- Shampoo then deep condition (ORS Replenishing Pak, Tresemme Split Ends)
- Moisturize/seal with Shea Butter Mixture
- Air-dry in big braids/twists
- Flat-iron on low heat (300 degrees F, Proclaim Heat Protectant though I prefer Carol's Daughter)
- Put in 6-8 big braids for braid-out
- Re-braid nightly; Rock hair for 2-3 weeks

And that's it!  Now for more hair photos:

Wash-n-go puff with flash.  Cottony. 
Wash-n-go after air-drying throughout the day.
I swear I can enter a shrinkage contest.  Where's the application?

Flat-iron (~340 F) before my previous braid-out.  Future flat-iron jobs will be 300 F max.  This is because I plan to flat-iron a little more frequently this summer (for the braid-out regimen).