Thursday, February 2, 2012

Healthy Hair Feature: Niqu92

Today's healthy hair feature is Niqu92.  Though she's had a recent setback, there is much to be learned from her story ...



1) Are you natural, relaxed, texlaxed, or transitioning? (And how long?)
I was natural up until my junior year in highschool (08-09) and now im currently relaxed. I don't regret my decision at all. Although i loved my natural hair i enjoy my relaxed hair much more.

2) What mistakes have you made in your hair care journey?
I have always had long & healthy hair so i never really started a hair care journey per se until this year after many setbacks from 2011. I was on birth control pills and it made my hair fall out in clumps. On top of that i decided to go to a new stylist twice for a relaxer touchup and she did not neutralize my hair properly both times so my hair fell out from that. I also "bothered" my hair too much. I decided to start co-washing it about 5x a week and my hair became extremely thin and dry from that. I went to Great Clips for a trim and they sabotaged my hair. Due to all those setbacks i cut my hair 2-3in above BSL.

3) What is your current HEALTHY HAIR routine?
i learned from my mistakes and realized that LESS is MORE. So here is my current regimen
Once a week:
Shampoo with Design essentials
DC with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm or Silicon Mix
after i rinse it out, i rollerset my hair.

I moisturize my hair nightly with Silicon Mix Leave-in Conditioner and seal with Jojoba or Coconut oil
I do protein as needed (about once every 6-8wks)
I get touchups and trim every 9-10weeks
maintaining this simple regimen and finally finding a good stylist has made my hair healthy again.


4) Do you have a HEALTHY BODY routine? If so, what is it?
I work out 5-6x per week with Turbo Fire
I try my best to stay in shape because im a diabetic so being healthy is extremely important for me.
I eat healthy on the weekdays and on the weekends i allow myself to slack off and eat all the unhealthy things my heart desires.

5) Do you have any advice for those seeking healthy tresses?
Everybody is different so you have to find out what works for you. Growing long and healthy hair is possible whether youre relaxed or natural once you find the right products/techniques that work best for your hair. Also, if you have suffered from a setback it is not the end of the world. I thought i was going to die when i had to cut my hair due to my setbacks but at the end i realized it's just hair.  Hair always grows back so dont think its the end of the world. It can actually be a good learning experience.