Thursday, October 21, 2010

REVIEW #8: Jane Carter Nourish & Shine

NOTE:  I am not paid to review this and other products.  All products are purchased via my own pocket and curiosity.

Purpose: To moisturize dry hair, scalp, and/or skin.

Ingredients: shea, illipe, mango, kokum butters, grapefruit and pear essential oils, vitamins A, D, & E. 

Number of trials: Multiple (80% of the container)

How I used it:
• Seal my hair after washing or spritzing with water
• Create a braidout
• Moisturize dry elbows, knees, ankles, and lips

_____________
THE REVIEW:

My favorite characteristics about this product are the natural ingredients, mango-like smell, thickness, moisturizing capability, and versatility. For me, Jane Carter Nourish & Shine was most effective as a sealing agent after washing or wetting my hair ... AND on my skin (particularly, on my elbows, knees, and ankles) after bathing.

My not-so-favorite characteristic is the $22 price for the 4 oz.  This pricing may be due to the ingredients being all natural and shea butter being high on the list (number one to be exact).  Thus, one is paying for ingredient richness when purchasing this product.  Additionally, a little bit of Jane Carter Nourish & Shine goes a long, long way.

Will I purchase it again?  If it were cheaper and weren't a mixologist, then yes.  At the moment, I'm just fine whipping my own butters for less than half the price.  However, I do recommend Jane Carter Nourish & Shine to those desiring to purchase a thick, moisturizing, all-natural, rich, butter-based product that actually works. Here's a less expensive finding including more reviews on Amazon:







_____________

PROS: moisturizing, thick, versatile (use on skin, scalp, and hair), a little goes a long way, nice scent (if you like mango), shea butter as #1 ingredient
CONS: expensive, has a scent (if you're not a fan of mango or fragrances, in general)

RATING: Overall, I give the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine 4 out of 5 stars.  If it were inexpensive, I'd probably give it a full 5 stars.


Ideal for those with: thick hair prone to dryness
Not ideal for those with: fine hair, or hair prone to oiliness