Tuesday, September 21, 2010

REVIEW #7: Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo


NOTE:  I am not paid to review this and other products.  All products are purchased out of my own pocket and curiosity.


Purpose: Thoroughly cleanse scalp and hair without stripping of all the natural oils.  (Recommended for oily scalp/hair.  Try other flavors for dry scalp/hair.)

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extract of Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit (2), Cocoamidopropyl Betaine*, Sodium Coco-Sulfate*, Coco-Glucoside**, Polyquaternium-7*, Panthenol, Certified Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (1), Leptospermum Petersonii Oil, Certified Organic Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil (1), Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Gluconate.1 Certified Organic by QAI 2 Certified Organic by QCS * Derived from Coconut **Derived from Sugar

Number of trials: Endless

How I use it:
• Rinse my hair under lukewarm water for 1-2 minutes
• Apply diluted shampoo to scalp ONLY using a color applicator bottle
• Massage my scalp and roots for 5 minutes then rinse

THE REVIEW:
My favorite characteristics about this shampoo are the natural ingredients, thorough yet gentle cleansing, and lathering capacity. In my transition to more natural shampoos, I've had a difficult time finding one that lathers and cleanses well ... until I met Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo.  It works like a sulfate shampoo but without the harshness and dryness.   It also pH-balanced according to my home test with litmus paper - about 6-7.  Additionally, it leaves no residue and the scent is not overpowering.  Though the product is expensive, I find that a little goes a long way.

PROS: lathers, thorough yet gentle cleanse, contains no EDTA (for you environmentalists), no SLS (if you're a sulfate-free fanatic), a little goes a long way, pH 6-7
CONS: expensive ($8.99 for 8 oz; you may find it for half that if you really hunt online)

RATING: Overall, I give the Desert Essence Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo 3 out of 5 stars because of the price. If I can find it for cheaper, I'd give it a full 5 stars.