Saturday, April 24, 2010

REVIEW #5: Avocado Detangling Conditioner

Purpose: Natural alternative to a detangling conditioner. (Loo's recipe.)

Number of trials: 1

Ingredients & Materials:
Blender,
overripe avocado,
extra virgin olive oil,
unrefined shea butter,
apple cider vinegar (optional),

bowl,
mixing spoon

Instructions Cut up one avocado, mash with a mixing spoon, and put in blender. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of unrefined shea butter to blender. (No need to melt the shea butter ahead of time.) Finally add approximately 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) to blender. If you wish, add 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to blender. (The ACV will aid in the blending process and in flattening the cuticles.) Blend all the ingredients thoroughly and continue to add EVOO until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. When done, pour mixture into a bowl and apply to hair as a detangling deep conditioner. NOTE: It is important to blend the ingredients well to eliminate avocado bits that stick to the hair. If desired, sieve the mixture before applying.

How I used it: I applied this detangling conditioner after a pre-poo and wash in twists. Then I tied a plastic bag around my hair and allowed the mix to soften my hair for 40 minutes. Afterwards, I undid each twist and detangled with a wide tooth comb followed by a medium tooth comb. Then I placed my hair in several big twists, rinsed out the conditioner thoroughly, and styled as usual.

The review:
The avocado detangling deep conditioner did the job well. After 4 weeks in twists - which means 4 weeks worth of shed hair - I was really impressed with how smooth the detangling process went. The conditioner was lubricating, thick, and heavy, all of which are needed to give my kinks slip, moisture, and loosening for detangling. It was also relatively easy to rinse out compared to the thicker store-bought cholesterol conditioners I use. (The latter leave a residue and fragrance in my hair that I can't stand.) I love this homemade detangler and plan to use it again once I finish my unused tubs of LustraSilk and LeKair Cholesterols. (Actually, maybe I'll give away these tubs ... giveaway, hint hint.)

PROS: all natural, thick, provides slip for easy detangling, moisturizing, penetrating, inexpensive

CONS: slip disappears after rinsing (I can see it being a con for those who desire post-rinse slip); avocado bits in the hair (IF not blended well)

RATING:
Overall, I rate the Avocado Detangling Conditioner a 5 out of 5 stars. I have no complaints whatsoever and was impressed by the slip considering that it's an all natural conditioner.

IDEAL FOR THOSE:
*wanting an all natural detangling option
*with thick tresses

FOR THE MIXOLOGISTS OUT THERE: You can experiment with using an overripe banana or banana baby food in place of the avocado for finer hair. (Blend well.) For a protein boost, add an egg or use yogurt + egg or mayonnaise + egg in place of the avocado. For scalp stimulation, add a few drops of peppermint oil to the mixture. Instead of olive oil, use coconut oil for added strength.

FOR THE NON-MIXOLOGISTS OUT THERE: You may want to check out these avocado conditioners: