Monday, April 5, 2010

Hey, Med School: Skin Care, Please?

Our current Healthy Hair Feature also shares her skin routine:

"Wash face 2x's per day. In the morning, I use a moisturizing cleanser with Alpha Hydroxy Acids (like Glycolic Acid or Citric Acid) which everyone in there mid-20's and older should start using now to prevent fine lines and wrinkles and to protect the delicate skin on your face throughout the day. I follow this with a serum containing Vitamin C (more protection) and caffeine (increases the circulation to the face and wakes the skin up!). Lastly, I use a moisturizer with SPF 30; wearing sunblock is the single most important thing you can do now to improve the health of your skin! At night I wash my face with an exfoliating cleanser and I put on a night serum containing Retinol which will further prevent fine lines and wrinkles from appearing."

I can certainly attest to the wonders of a night cream containing retinol; skin renewal and repair after exposure to sun, makeup, etc. is the name of the game. Also, I second the use of a moisturizer containing sunscreen. Dermatologists highly recommend a minimum of SPF 30.