Monday, March 29, 2010

Let's Talk Turkey Pasta!

A couple of months ago, I was chatting with my sister about what to cook for dinner, and she suggested spaghetti. I looked in my cabinet and saw whole wheat spaghetti. Check. Then I opened my fridge and saw fresh tomatoes. Check. Then I went to the freezer and saw ground turkey. Hmm. I don't usually have spaghetti with ground turkey but it couldn't hurt to try it. So, how'd it go? Boy, was it yummy! I killed two birds - tasty + healthy - with one stone.

So let's talk ground turkey and why it's healthier than ground beef.
Simply put, ground beef has a relatively large amount of saturated fat. What's wrong with that picture? Well, an unhealthy amount of saturated fats can increase the LDL (bad) cholesterol in your body, thus raising the risk for heart attack, stroke, and narrowed arteries. Ground turkey is simply a better option for your heart; ground beef and other red meats are best eaten sparingly.

Now let's get back to talking turkey pasta.
Last week, one of my favorite youtubers posted a turkey pasta recipe with sweet potatoes. Watch her tutorial below if you're interested in trying your hand at her recipe:




*NOTE: I prefer using fresh tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce. Just blend them to a puree and steam most of the water out. Add your favorite seasonings, onions, peppers, and mushrooms and you're good to go!

****************************************
MORE READS:
SATURATED FAT

NUTRITION DATA FOR:
70% LEAN GROUND BEEF
90% LEAN GROUND BEEF
GROUND TURKEY