Thursday, March 29, 2012

How I Avoid Type II Diabetes

From the CDC: "Type 2 diabetes accounts for 90%–95% of diabetes cases and is usually associated with older age, obesity and physical inactivity, family history of type 2 diabetes, or a personal history of gestational diabetes. ...  Type 2 diabetes can be prevented through healthy food choices, physical activity, and weight loss. ... . A person with diabetes has a shorter life expectancy and about twice the risk of dying on any given day as a person of similar age without diabetes." {Source}


Type II diabetes is a part of my family history.  My late maternal grandfather had it.  My older brother died from it.  My mother has it.  I want to avoid it.  Because of this reality, and because I generally want to remain healthy, my meals have the following guidelines:
  • eat a lot of fish, fresh vegetables, and whole grains (instead of processed grains).
  • only eat sweets (i.e., cakes, cookies, ice cream) once every couple of weeks or month. 
  • eat dried fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • rarely eat beef or other red meat.
  • refrain from sodas and juice cocktails.  
  • drink water and 100% cranberry juice.
  • only use extra virgin olive oil to cook.
If you have a family history of type II diabetes, then you may want to read the following links for how to avoid the disease:

TYPE II DIABETES - MAKING HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES
TYPE II DIABETES - OTHER PREVENTION
TYPE II DIABETES - CAUSES, ETC.

You can now find HHB on Facebook. Share with your friends: http://www.facebook.com/healthyhairandbody.