Thursday, February 3, 2011

Healthy Hair Feature: Janet



1) Are you natural, relaxed, texlaxed, or transitioning?
I am natural. I was a long-term transitioner from 2004 to early 2006 and have been fully natural since early 2006.

About Janet's color ...
I have all-over color…triple processed. I maintain my hair through hard protein treatments (such as Aphogee 2-step), deep conditioners, and steam treatments.

2) What mistakes have you made in your hair care journey?
I have only truly been on my healthy hair journey for coming up on a year and thus far, I cannot say that I have made too many mistakes. Thankfully, being a part of hair forums has helped me to avert major crises, but I will say that one should think carefully about coloring hair because you must be ready to baby it for the next year.

3) What is your current HEALTHY HAIR routine?
I try to wash my hair every 7-10 days. I either deep condition or moisturize pre-poo every other wash. I do a hard protein treatment every 6 to 8 weeks (as needed). I use Hot Six Oils (love the ceramides in it) as a moisturizer. I love coconut oil and will be incorporating it more during these Winter months. I also utilize low manipulation styles (such as wash and go ponys, twist-outs, rollersets, etc) as a way of protecting my hair.

4) Do you have a HEALTHY BODY routine? If so, what is it?
I wash my face every morning with Yes to Cucumbers Calming Gel. I get a massage at least once a month because I feel that beauty definitely starts from within and massages help relieve stress and tension built up. I am not quite a vegetarian, but I do not eat beef or pork (and haven’t for several years). I wish that I could say that I exercise on a regular basis- that is one thing that I would like to increase for 2011. During the Spring/Summer months, I like to walk outside…but during the Winter months, I am more dormant.


5) Do you have any advice for those seeking healthy tresses?
Seek out hair forums…There is so much information out there, I found that hair forums have everything you could ever want to know in a centralized location. Also, the ladies on the forum are so knowledgeable and sweet.

Start small…Rome wasn’t built in a day, as they say…One cannot go from neck length to waist length overnight; take your time and enjoy the journey.



You can find Janet on:
Fotki: www.fotki.com/ATLPeach
Long Hair Care Forum - Janet’
Twitter: baby2steps
Tumblr: stephjanet.tumblr.com