Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reader's Question: Low Comb Routine



  • Hello! I am currently experimenting with detangling my hair less often. I read that you do a low comb routine. Can you do a post on your detangling routine? How often you detangle? What you use to detangle (conditioners, combs, brushes, etc) What you do between combing sessions (finger comb, etc)?



Great question!  I have a two-part answer that depends on hair length:


FROM TWA to BSL:
(I actually started this routine at APL, but it works for shorter lengths as well.)  When my hair was this length, I comb detangled every 1-3 months.  I would soak my hair in LustraSilk Cholesterol mixed with olive oil for about an hour.  Then I would comb through each section of hair with a wide-tooth comb followed up by a medium-tooth comb.  After I completed each section, I would twist/braid it up, rinse out the conditioner, and proceed to style my hair as usual. Every 1-2 weeks (between comb detangling sessions), I redid my twists and used that opportunity to finger detangle on dry hair.  


FROM BSL to BEYOND:
I currently detangle about once every 3-4 weeks.  I soak my hair in LeKair Cholesterol mixed with olive oil for about 20-30 minutes.  (As my hair has gotten longer, the ends require just a little bit of protein to remain strong, hence my switch to LeKair.)  Then I run through the ends with a wide-tooth comb followed by a paddle brush from from roots to the ends.  (I use a paddle brush instead of a medium-tooth comb for ease and speed.)  At this length, I no longer finger detangle since my twist styles last from one comb detangling session to the next.


EDITED - MBL and BEYOND: I no longer use a paddle brush.  I only use a wide tooth comb.


I hope this helps!