Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saving a Life

Just a few days ago my wife and I were walking to her downtown parking garage following a meeting in center city Philadelphia that we were both attending. Two blocks from the garage, on a bench outside a diner, we noticed a middle aged white male slumped over and another man gesticulating for help. As we approached to see what we could offer, the man on the bench turned blue and I could not feel his pulse. At that moment, a nurse colleague of my wife's was on her way home and she joined us as we put the man on the sidewalk, propped up his head with a pillow, and began CPR. Bystanders began to gather and one of them called 911 for an ambulance. Fortuneately, within minutes, the CPR was successful and the man regained consciousness and was whisked off to my hospital, Jefferson University Hospital blocks away. We have subsequently learned that despite the complete lack of any medical history, a healthy diet, and a normal EKG, he has severe three vessel coronary artery disease and will be undergoing bypass surgery, at Jefferson, tomorrow!!! I am not sharing any more personal information about this lucky guy out of respect for his privacy, but I did want to reflect on my experience. I am so grateful for my training as physician, and in CPR as well, as my instincts just took over as we swung into action to help. I am also grateful for the wonderful care that he received at my own hospital, which makes me proud to be a part of the team. Do you know CPR?? Could you have saved a life too if called upon?? What greater gift could I have given him and in return, my wife and I feel blessed that we were there at the very moment that counted. I hope that we will remain friends with this nice guy for a long time and that he will continue to lead a productive life too. Health reform, the economic crisis, launching our new school are all important, but the one on one connection and saving a life sure helps to put everything else into clear focus. What do you think?? I sure hope everyone gets training in CPR too!! DAVID NASH