Saturday, December 6, 2008

The John Fisher Lecture in Muncie IN

I had the privilege this past week of delivering the 10th annual John Fisher Lecture at Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, IN. Ball is part of the newly merged Clarian and Cardinal Health Systems---which include the University of Indiana School of Medicine and Methodist Hospital. The lecture was focused on the need for health system reform and what advice I would give to President Elect Obama. However, the experience was highlighted by two events---one was the lovely dinner the night before with Mr Fisher and his wife Janice. They are both in their 90's and totally sharp in every respect. Mr Fisher questioned me about all kinds of issues and was clearly on top of current events. The second event was an opportunity I had to meet all the house officers and young faculty at Ball Memorial. We engaged in a comprehensive dialogue about the need for better teaching regarding the tenets of quality and safety in residency training. Safety is not an elective!!! I always learn a good deal from my experiences at institutions like Ball Memorial and I gain a better appreciation for the challenges that we all face each and every day. How should we improve the training of our residents in quality and safety?? How can we encourage young physicians to embrace the concept of self evaluation and improvement?? I am looking for good ideas all the time here and hope you'll engage in the dialogue. DAVID NASH